Sunday, March 1, 2009

Good food, free food and dog food


I really like grapefruit, esp. when all of the skin is peeled away and it is easy to eat it with your hands - it is pretty, too. I enjoy peeling a couple and sharing them with Steve for an after dinner treat some nights and will often eat one for lunch while I feed Luke these days. They are certainly a highlight of winter produce. This week Luke has shown some serious interest when I am eating one while he eats his lunch. By serious interest, I mean that he stares at the grapefruit, bounces up and down in his seat and waves his arms. I gave him a small bite thinking he would scrunch up his face and not appreciate me sharing, but he was totally excited and after about 10 bites I had to cut him off for fear of an upset stomach. Grapefruit...who would have guessed?!

Thursday night, I made a couple of pizzas thanks to my dad telling me about some tasty crusts that make 'making pizza' really simple and a real treat. Paul and Susan got home from DC on Thursday, too, so we all enjoyed getting to visit with them. Susan spent Wednesday cooking with Shannon and brought home some leftovers for us to enjoy. The dish next to the pizzas is a Sicilian rice ball. I forgot the official name, but they are made of rice with a veggie/cheese/tomato sauce inside, then rolled in egg and bread crumbs and fried. It was a fun dinner and we toasted Aunt Shannon's culinary skills as we enjoyed the food.

On the food front, Friday I took Luke and the dogs to the Harmony trail. I had him in the front pack and at each bench I took him out so that he could stand up and check out what was going on around us. There were tons of frogs 'ribbiting' which is surely a sign of spring, right? and the trees were swaying lots in the breeze so they intrigued Luke.

At our last break, we ran into another dog, Casey, and her owner, Walter. Luckily, Walter was happy to have some doggy buddies for his dog and finished the walk with us. He seemed to enjoy meeting Luke, too...As we were leaving, he handed me a card good for a free pizza at Walt's in Marion. Score! He is the owner (or the son of) and just wanted to share some goodness with us. I like that there are kind people out there - plus, Walt's pizza is GREAT!

You can tell Gma Susan is pretty happy to see Luke after five days away :) She and Gpa Paul enjoyed some real quality time with him Saturday night when he spent the night for the first time with them. This was only Luke's second night away from home, and he had a great time.

Steve and I enjoyed a really great dinner together and got home early, but we enjoyed a great night's sleep, and we were super excited to see Luke this morning. I told him that I was too freaked out about having Luke away overnight so he was surprised when I told him we had the whole night to ourselves. I don't get to surprise him very often, and he is really good at surprising me so it was fun to see a big smile on his face! Thanks Gma and Gpa for helping pull it off!

This video was taken today. Luke started out standing at the dog door, repeatedly putting his hand through it and trying to figure out how it was put together. He then grabbed the stand that holds the dog treats and towels and made his way excitedly to the dog bowls. You can see what happened once he made it there. I held the bowls in place so that he could just have his way with them. Luna stood behind him the whole time watching his every move and looking at me as if she was wondering how she could eat some of her food. She would just wait for the wet food that he dropped and eat it up.

The fun part is that I have pictures of my cousins, Zack and Peyton, when they were 2or 3 doing the exact same thing with Luna looking the exact same way.

My mom hosted my baby shower a year ago...wow! It was lovely and I still look at toys/books/outfits and can remember who Luke got them from. He has a lot of special people around him - we are all lucky!

No comments: