Monday, September 22, 2008

Life is good

Grandpa Nick has gotten the chance to babysit a couple of times now, and he has done a great job...Here he is with Luke last Friday. Luke loves when Gpa wiggles his fingers in the air and 'gets Luke' he gets all wiggly and smiley about it...He has played a couple of songs for Luke with his guitar, too which went over well...I am not sure if it was more fun to watch Luke look at the guitar or to hear Gpa try to rhyme words as he made up lyrics for a song about Luke!

Luke is eating more - some veggies in the afternoon and some more veggies mixed with some cereal and milk in the evening - it is going

well and you can see that he is quite the neat freak. He is more excited most times to chomp on the spoon since his two bottom teeth are showing up more everyday but the food seems to be a hit, too. He especially likes carrots. Steve hates carrots so he must have gotten that from me :) just kidding I know that it is just because they are sweeter tasting. It is crazy what a little food does to a babies poop - yikes - the smell and the size - can we start potty training now?

These food pics were taken last night (9/21) The one of the three of us was an after bath photo...still loving the bath time. He has fallen
into somewhat of a routine with food, fun, bath, more food and bed lately.

Luke is 6 months old today! In March, this date seemed like a million years off. I thought I would try to make it 6 months breastfeeding, and now I am hoping for at least 9 months. In early April, I wasn't sure what the hell what going on...it was tough to have my life change so dramatically and no one had told me about that. I guess you can't be prepared, but jeez...between being just tired and not knowing if I was doing the right thing plus having a little PERSON rely on you completely I was a mess lots of times (thank goodness for Steve's even temperament! and my mom repeatedly telling me that I am not nuts!)...I really don't remember much about April or May and I guess that is natures way of helping parents have more than one child(what a trick!), but I am glad to have that new parent haze lifted. I might not be sleeping through the night yet, but I am getting bigger chunks and besides that, it feels almost normal now to have a baby. My body feels good, Steve and I get time together and Luke is obviously a central part of our life. Everything about him is really great - Steve and I talked the other night about what it feels like to be parents. I still struggle to say 'my' son. I am not sure about using a possessive when talking about Luke. I feel like I belong more to him that he does to me...I am his mom and I will do whatever I can forever to help him be healthy and happy and to live the life that makes him smile. That is my job now.
On a lighter note, we had a great 1/2 birthday for him today. He talked to Daddy while he got ready for work and then got back in bed with me for a while. We are enrolled in a baby and mom exercise class that meets Mondays and Wednesdays. We went last week and Luke was great...the teacher is a muscled up college student named Lance which is kind of funny, but he loved Luke. He wanted to play with him more than he wanted to give the moms a workout :) We were getting the car ready to go today, but as I was loading our stuff up Star was at the door barking. I think that she was telling me what a GORGEOUS day it was and she was right. Today was perfect - blue sky, sun, no humidity about 8o degrees - so Luke and I loaded up the dogs and headed over to Lake Kinkaid for a hike. I told him that today is a lesson in "life is short so enjoy the moment!" We can go to class on Wednesday...I wore the frontpack and we took a break after a while so that Luke could dip his feet in the lake - he loved it! He learned to take his hat off today which was cute...all of a sudden he was hatless and trying to get the hat in his mouth while we walked. We also got to see Gma Jackie during her lunch hour - Luke was passed out in the car so we just visited on her front porch while he and the dogs slept - and we visited the Buser's. He didn't cry! I know that he knows they are wonderful and was just doing the crying thing for a show...Today was a breakthrough and we enjoyed getting to visit with them both :) I have rambled on and on..now I get to go snuggle up with Steve - yeah!

1 comment:

Jen said...

You have such a good way with words. Isn't it amazing being a mom! Thanks for the comment:) Lucas was born Jan. 20th, he was 8 months old on saturday. I can't believe it. I would love for the two Lukes to meet sometime. It is so fun to watch them interact with other babies. Let me know about a visit.