Tuesday, August 2, 2011

My Perfect Day

We have been reading a lot of "Pooh's Perfect Day" around here and also listening to the Pooh movie soundtrack as much as possible. Luke will watch the computer or the car stereo when it is on thinking he might see the movie or saying "The book is starting!" He enjoys listening to "Polar Express" with Steve's parents so I should probably look into other books on tape for the car :)


Anyway, I thought I would go along with the Pooh theme and track the day that turned into one of those "wow, what a wonderful day, remember the details" kind of day.



Woke up and went to check Luke. He was perpendicular in his bed rolling around, so I dove in with him and snuggled until he announced that he NEEDED chocolate milk. I asked him if her really liked chocolate milk and he looked at me like I was totally insane. He smiled and told me it is his 'gasoline' and he needed to 'fill his tank'. Got it.

Was planning to take him to school so that I could focus on a big project I had planned for the day, but one attempt from him to stay home was all it took for it to turn into a "Mommy and Luke workday" I explained to him that I had to work on our new courtyard during the day, which he said 'we going to build sumpin?" and I said "yes, we are working on a fence today!" And....I got the whole thing done! Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy! Luke was awesome. He build lots of railroad tracks, raced around the living room, played in his water table, watched some cartoons, listened to some music, ate well, listened to some books, and a lot more...


I went in the house to check on him once and he was standing up watching the Pooh music and eating butter by the fingerful. He told me it was his honey. I totally understood and pushed the dish closer to him. The picture of the fence is first b/c I accidentally deleted it from the place I wanted it, and can't get my text to copy and paste. I am not trying to be THAT much of a braggart. Although....I am really thrilled to have gotten so much done, to be soooo worn out physically (and a little sunburned on my back b/c I can't reach everywhere - ugh) and to be looking forward to planting some bushes and cleaning up the space tomorrow.


My dad came out a couple of times, too, which was a treat. Once, just to say hi, procrastinate mowing his yard and to forget his iced tea when he left, and the second time to bring me and Luke, so kindly and quickly, a large Coke and large Lemonade...Yum! Coke has never tasted so good. It was blazing hot today, although we were happy to have a breeze, and even though L and I were drinking all day long, we both stopped to chug our treats. Thanks, DAD!


My mom came out to see me progress. Her stamp of approval means a lot since she does so much amazing yard work. I told her that I have two days of her off the charts work ethic going :) She spent some time with Luke while I ran to get some more supplies, thanks MOM, and later tonight Luke told me "Grandma Jackie takes good care of me" Yes...you are one lucky kid. Grandma Susan certainly does as well!


This is Luke eating some other "honey" He thoroughly enjoys having goldfish (graham cracker or chocolate flavored) with a spoonful of icing. Is it awful, in some ways, but is it great, in more ways :) That plate got licked clean. He is such a wonderful person. I told Steve tonight that I probably shouldn't have expected a 3 year old to play and work and just be while I worked hard most of the day on a project, but he is LUKE and he is just sumpin' special.


Getting a good bite. And, he had to sit in his "Lightning" chair on the deck to eat. I told him there might be bees (b/c we do have a slight wasp issue) and as soon as we opened the door to go out, he said "See, there are no bees!"



We looked at flowers, the volunteer sunflowers and moonflowers became a jungle for his cars to 'get lost' in, the sunset was breathtaking, Luke looked up and said "Mommy, the fence looks awesome" We played "Prince and Princess" (a made up Luke game that is pretty fun) and talked about fairy tales. We smiled at the crescent moon. I said it was little and Luke said it was big. We sang our ABC's and counted to ten before any cartoons were allowed ;) We loved on Star, and when I called her crazy Luke told me that she 'is NOT crazy". We took a fun washdown (bath), I got the biggest and funniest zerberts (rasberries) from my zerbert prince, we read books, we snuggled, he fell asleep with his feet propped on my legs and his hand on my chest.


This summer has taught me to really enjoy not having plans. I am still a 'can't help but plan' kind of person, but much less and have really enjoyed this summer much more than any I can remember. Moon flowers can be jungles and icing with graham crackers can be a 'smackerel' for dinner. Life goes on, thankfully. It was a perfect day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you ever decide to give up your day job, I would hire you in a hot minute as an exterior designer!

What a difference your idea turned reality makes when you pull up to your house...

BEEEEEautiful!!