Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A (good) day in the life-

-of Luke. I was going to write this as if Luke was writing it, but then I thought that might seem kind of dumb so I am just going to explain what Luke did today and one day when he is curious (yeah, right!) he can read about his day :) This is a little wordy so if you are looking for pictures (DAD!) just scroll to the bottom.

He woke up at 1:30am and Dad was quick to get in his room with some milk and some loving for him. He went back to sleep pretty quickly and slept until 6:30. I noticed today that his 2 top incisors are right at the surface of his gums so that probably explains the night waking since he has been sleeping so well lately.

At 6:30, Daddy got him up and changed him. He is not very happy about getting changed these days. I will sing "Itsy Bitsy Spider" to distract him or just make funny noises. He also got half of a banana, some dry cereal and some juice. I got up pretty quickly, too, and walked the dogs because we all were planning on the tree guys coming this morning to complete our oak job...didn't happen but that is a whole other post that isn't really worth writing about;)

After his wake-up snack, Luke tooled around the house with me for a while discussing our plans for the day, then enjoyed some time with his toys while mom got a quick shower and got ready for the day. I got him dressed, packed up his snack and drink and headed to Lowe's. Luke was great in his new car seat that Steve installed yesterday. We are keeping him in a rear facing car seat as long as possible (hopefully until 2 years old) but he really needed a new seat that will adjust to his ever-growing healthy body!

We have visited Lowe's a lot lately, it seems, and one of the women working today remembered Luke and kept raving about how great his behavior is and how cute he is. He loved every second of it. He would act shy and put his head on my arm when she would talk to him, but when she left he would look up like 'where is my friend?'.

After our shopping we barely made it on time to this week's Wiggles 'N' Tunes class. So fun, even if Luke spent every chance he could find to try to leave the room or to explore Teacher Alyce's 'stuff' He was getting tired by the end of class and did pretty well, but it was a challenge to keep singing about the animals on the farm while keeping him in the classroom! He is a determined and independent little guy.

We got home from class, snacked on some yogurt, read a couple of Curious George books and then he tried to tell me how horrible I am when I put him down for a nap at about 11:00. He repeated his disdain for me for about 5 minutes and then all was quiet and he took a great nap. Woke up happy, looking around the room calmly deciding if he needed to make a sound or if I was close enough by to get him without yelling for me (I was - I love checking on him when he sleeps and I LOVE getting him from a nap - he is so snuggly for a second and just wonderful to hold while he wakes up)

I was working on some shelves so Luke was excited to see and hear a drill being used while he rearranged a couple of the kitchen cabinets. Once the shelves were done, he ate a good serving of pasta (with black olives, of course) and some strawberries. He looked like he had taken a bath in cherry koolaid by the time lunch was over!

We put some sunscreen on and spent some time on the deck. Luke checked out his water table and explored the deck a little while I re-potted a few plants before we headed out front to get some shade. Summer showed up today!

We kept working on some plants and Luke was interested in taking laps around my car. When daddy got home Luke got some playtime with him, we took the dogs for a walk and Luke played some more with Daddy while I made dinner.

My folks came over to share the carbonara with us and Luke got a kick out of screaming at the top of his lungs if we went too long talking to each other instead of focusing on him. It is pretty funny. He is grasping SO many ideas now and you can ask him all kinds of things like "where is mommy/daddy/grandma" and he will look immediately at the person. He also gets things - I will ask him to get the ball/book/frog/etc...and he just does it. The learning of a baby/toddler is mind blowing. Gma Susan noticed that he grabbed "Green Eggs and Ham" when she offered to read it to him which was a thrill for her and we are all enjoying the fact that he will sit still for a few pages of books now before taking over or taking off!

Luke is just an absolute joy. After dinner he got his bedtime bottle, loved on the dogs and his frog and hedgehog and slept all night. Before he went down, we went out front to admire the moon flower that BLOOMED this week. What a glorious blossom, what a glorious scent. It is a total treat to watch a flower bloom as the moon rises.


No comments: