Thursday, May 26, 2011

Remembering a friend


My dear mentor and friend, J'ke, one of the 'forces' that I have been fortunate to know in my life died tonight after an 18 month battle with lung cancer. J'ke is one of the voices that rings in my head when I am making a decision or need that internal advice. I was so lucky to know her, so lucky to intern with her as I was learning to be a school counselor, and so so lucky to continue to be friends with her when we didn't see each other every day for school. J'ke made a positive difference in the world while she was here. The last time we spoke, on ACT testing day last month, neither of us said goodbye, we reminisced a bit over fun times eating pizza, she reminded me to love my boys every day and I reminded her of the impact she has had on me and so many of her students. She told me to continue that legacy and I will do my best. I love you, J'ke. Thank you for being my teacher, my friend and my role model.

No comments: