Friday, January 6, 2012

First week of 2012

We started 2012 with a shopping trip to get Steve some new dress clothes. That was successful, but the best find that we found at Dillard's were these "Scooby" shoes. I took Luke to the kids shoe section where he whispered "Mommy, I see Scooby!" So....we bought them and he wore them back to the men's department with a smile that Daddy spotted from miles away. 
 After the mall, Luke was promised a trip to the 'rainbow store', Toys R Us. Uncle Glenn had gifted him with a gift card to the store and Luke had a blast browsing before settling on an action hero 'build the batcave' set. One more toy that makes me thankful his dad is a former engineer. He puts stuff together with ease :) And Luke has a blast helping him and has loved playing with the set all week.
 Tuesday night, Luke was kind of in bed when Steve and I cooked a late dinner. We enjoyed cooking side by side while Luke took turns opening his bedroom door, yelling something, and shutting it again. He finally came out and yelled "Hey guys, can I eat dinner with you?" Of course, we couldn't resist the company. Just for the record, he had eaten dinner already, but did get a couple of extra bites of steak during round two.
 Steve and I were sharing a glass of red wine with dinner which Luke wanted to share. We moved the glass out of reach and continued eating. Within moments, Luke climbed down from the table, walked to the kitchen and puttered around. We heard the fridge open and close and could tell he was up to something but didn't think much of it. Next thing we see is Luke running back in the dining room with a cup full of a dark liquid. I didn't know where he would have gotten wine and tried to grab the cup but he was too quick and took a gulp out of his cup. Then...he made a horrible face and projectile spit the liquid out. Yep...he had found the soy sauce and poured a generous helping in his cup to go with dinner. Perhaps he will never like the taste of wine?!
That same night, Luke came in about 2:30 wanting to sleep with mommy so we snuggled up and Steve went to Luke's bed...I couldn't get back to sleep so I turned on the light to read and got a couple of pictures of my fellow cuddle bug bed hogs :) I ended up sleeping diagonal with very little room to move, but loving it!
 I was woken up at 6:30 to sweet hands on my face and a "Mommy? I love you" Minutes later he was behind our bed plotting how to trap me and take me to jail. I will take the "I love yous" when I get them!
 Up to something...
 Last day of break was Wednesday so we met some friends for lunch and visited the Science Center. Gpa Nick spent some time with us which was extra fun and Steve met us as well! Nothing like playing with cars...he never gets to do that at home! We were both excited to be out of the house I think, since we had hibernated from Sun-Wed afternoon and enjoyed good time at home.

After Luke's dance class which he really enjoys (!) we went for a great visit with our neighbors, Bob and Meg and then headed home. On the way, I told Luke that the next day Leah would be coming to play with him because Mommy was going back to work. He said "Okay. -pause - Is Daddy going to work?" I told him yes and he said "Okay. - long pause - I will miss you guys"

Really. That exchange makes me tear up just writing about it. Sweet, sweet boy.

He did have fun with Leah, though, and the past two days have flown by. We have enjoyed outdoor time with unseasonably welcome mild weather and today after work I picked up my fellas and our Star for a trip to Giant City for some leaf dancing, treasure hunting (we found a purple ribbon and tennis ball), swinging and climbing on the play area and then great dinner at Creekside Grill. Yum! Luke ate about a third of my steak and his own chef requested grilled cheese and some ice cream for dessert. Awesome to see him enjoy a meal. Also awesome to see him pick up a menu, point to the 'rigatoni' and say "here it is, mommy, they have grilled cheese" Indeed, they do. They just didn't know it yet.

No comments: