Wednesday, September 21, 2011

In Daddy's words

This is a note that Steve wrote me about a night out with Luke last week.

"I took Luke to a "pizza party" last night after school. The Dean of the College of Education and Human Services had an informal meeting with pizza/soda in WHAM to talk to new doctoral candidates. The invitation specifically stated that children would be welcome for those without child care.

I was the only one who took the Dean up on his offer. The meeting consisted of about twenty new doctoral candidates from around the world and Luke Murphy all sitting in a half-circle of desks around the Dean. The Dean discussed the doctoral program and expectations, and everyone around the room introduced themselves and discussed possible research interests. I introduced myself, and I introduced Luke as a "currently enrolled student in the SIU Child Development Lab".

Luke ate pizza and quietly listened to the discussion for about an hour and 15 minutes. The Dean occasionally made a funny quip, which elicited a few soft laughs from the crowd and a subsequent belly laugh from Luke. Occasionally Luke would turn to me and wink. At one point, I whispered "I love you Luke..." and he loudly responded "I love YOU daddy."

One lady was an expert in early childhood and for some reason always carried a deck of "Go Fish" cards in her purse. She offered them to Luke during the presentation, and Luke quietly went through the deck naming the colors and types of fish, and asking me if he didn't know one. Another lady offered a paper and pen, which Luke drew a racetrack on. He also tried to write his name and mine.

I couldn't be more proud of our son and what a wonderful job his mother has done raising him. I received several compliments on how well-behaved and well adjusted he was. He was never a distraction in the meeting - except for the time he raised his hand during one of the Dean's stories and stated, "I need to go POOP."

He was very proud of himself for attending Daddy's meeting "at SIU with the older students" and also for using the "big potty at SIU". On our way in and out, he was careful to smile at the girls who noticed him and rev his engine at some football players waiting for class.

I love our son and I love you babe. Life is good."

No comments: